Today we are going to have a look at the benefits of yoga asana called Surya Namaskar for weight loss. People around the world have been looking for the best exercise routine that can help them stay in shape and this asana is a close shot to that endeavor. Most yoga experts prefer to start their day with it because it has been around for thousands of years and has withstood the test of time.
Surya Namaskar (or a salutation to the Sun God) is one of the simplest techniques for losing weight. It is an ancient and powerful meditation technique with multiple physical and spiritual benefits. This meditation pose boosts the weight loss process, strengthens the body, improves blood circulation, and keeps the body in shape.
This asana is usually the first one to be done in a day and can be followed up with the more specific ones like Dhanurasana and Halasana.
“Surya Namaskar” is a Sanskrit word which, means obeisance (Namaskar) to the Sun God (Surya). It is a set of 12 powerful yoga asanas (postures) that provide a good cardiovascular workout. These asanas have a phenomenal impact on the waist, throat, chest, heart, stomach, intestine, and legs.
Tip: This yoga technique is a complete body workout in itself. It is also the base of power yoga that offers more health benefits for experienced professionals.
This asana should be best performed early morning when the stomach is empty. This yogic exercise consists of 12 postures that should be done cyclically and systematically. Doing it regularly would ensure better digestion, agility, rejuvenation, beauty, and longevity. It will also help one lose weight and trim the waistline faster.
This ancient Vedic asana offers several benefits related to one’s physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual development. One should do it as per a routine every day under professional guidance. If you don’t have a master or if you are short on time, we advise you to go for on-demand virtual Yoga sessions from the masters themselves. You can use your smartphone to get online with them as and when you want to get going with this healthy exercise.
You would find their positive energy levels helping you to transform into a more focused and agile person smoothly. They will also help you understand and assuage your anxiety levels, besides making you at peace with yourself.
Here are the benefits of Surya Namaskar:
1. Helps in weight loss
2. Tones your muscles
3. Keeps blood sugar and blood pressure levels in check
4. Increases agility
5. Improves digestive and nervous systems
6. Regulates blood circulation
7. Regulates menstrual cycles (in women)
8. Helps you calm down and resist anxiety
9. Makes you alert and more responsive
10. Detoxifies the body, mind, and soul
11. Helps you wake up early and regularizes sleep patterns
There are a total of 12 steps in Surya Namaskar, as follows:
1. Pranamasana (Prayer pose)
2. Hastauttanasana (Raised arms pose)
3. Hastapadasana (Standing forward bend)
4. Ashwa Sanchalanasana (Equestrian pose)
5. Dandasana (Stick pose)
6. Ashtanga Namaskara (Salute with eight parts or points)
7. Bhujangasana (Cobra pose)
8. Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward facing dog pose)
9. Ashwa Sanchalanasana (Equestrian pose)
10. Hastapadasana (Standing forward bend)
11. Hastauttanasana (Raised arms pose)
12. Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
Done in proper synchronization, these exercises would help you maximize the scope of health benefits that the asana offers. You would need a single-minded focus and a persistent willingness to change one’s life for the better over some time before its positive results are felt. Meditation is a serious business and can quickly come back to hurt you if it is done improperly.
To lose some unwanted body weight through Surya Namaskar, we recommend you incorporate the following steps in your daily schedule.
1. The first step is to learn how to do Surya Namaskar the right way. The aforementioned 12 asanas should be performed correctly over some time for the best results.
2. You should be regular with your meditation and aerobic exercises to lose weight faster. You can plug-in a high-definition pair of headphones to listen to some calming music.
3. You should perform the steps at a slow and steady pace. It would take around 12-15 days to perfect all the 12 poses. This will also allow you to build strength and get slim faster.
4. Once you have built enough strength, increase the number of rounds you do. For effective weight loss, you could practice Surya Namaskar for about 6 days a week.
5. End your yoga session with stretching and relaxation poses like Shavasana (Corpse Pose).
Here’s an expert tip to do this Yoga asana the expert way.
You should consider doing the Surya Namaskar in sets. One set has 12 asanas for one leg and when you do it for both your legs, you get 12x2x12 repetitions in total. This would mean 288 asanas in all. It should not take more than 20 minutes.
Studies have shown that a person is likely to so 3.79 calories from 1 minute of Surya Namaskar. The time taken to complete a round of Surya Namaskar exercise is around 3 mins 40 seconds. Therefore, it indicates that the calories burnt in a round of Surya Namaskar are about 13.91 calories.
A further extension to the calculation of calories is that 1 pound of fat equals 3,500 calories. If you want to reduce a pound every week, then you would need to burn about 300 to 400 calories on average. This would lead us to the following table:
40 mins: 500 calories
Free guidance: You can use this app-based calorie counter to assess your way forward.
Also read: What Makes Online Yoga Training The Way To Go For Virtual Fitness At Home In 2020?
Yes, you can. You can drink a glass of water about half an hour before starting your yoga asana. Remember not to take cold water because it can slow down your metabolism process.
Surya Namaskar is the mantra to lose weight and stay peaceful, healthy and fit. Yoga has been there since time immemorial and nothing can be wiser than opting for it as a smart and systematic option for you to reduce weight. This meditation exercise can also help you with increased agility, flexibility, sharpness, respiration rate, and a boosted rate of metabolism. The key is to start with it early and to remain consistent with it.