Spinach & Chana Dal is a simple tasty and healthy recipe. it can be served with roti, paratha, rice during lunchtime or dinner. Try out this recipe to your everyday meal.
½ cup chana dal (split bengal gram)
¾ cup spinach (palak) purée
½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
½ tsp dried fenugreek leaves
1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
¾ cup finely chopped onions
1 tsp ginger (adrak) paste
½ tsp garlic (lehsun) paste
½ tsp garam masala
1 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
¼ cup low-fat milk
1 tsp oil
Salt to taste
1. Combine the chana dal and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
2. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Drain and keep aside.
3. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, asafetida and dried fenugreek leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
4. When the seeds crackle, add the green chillies, onions, ginger paste, garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Add the garam masala, coriander powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
6. Add the spinach purée, milk and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
7. Add the cooked dal, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
8. Serve hot.
Calories 120kcal, Fat 3g, Carbs 17g, Protein 6g.